As a consumer, everyone should be very concerned with the economic tsunami that has befallen us this year. The cost of every product that we want or need has gone sky high. This past week we were informed that the price of natural gas is expected to increase by 40% or more.
To minimize the impact on your heating bills you should do the following:
- Make sure your furnace is inspected to ensure it is safe and running at peak efficiency.
- Use set back thermostats for lowering indoor temperature when not at home or when sleeping.
- Check filters on a regular basis.
- Make sure your attic has at least R-38 insulation.
- Weatherproof your home as best you can.
- Leave windows uncovered to get free heat from the sun.
- If your furnace is over 10 years old you should consider upgrading to a high efficiency unit.